@ Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
June 13 - September 20, 2020
This year’s theme—Climate Change—invites you artists to explore climate change through art.
During the past few hundred years, oil, gas, and coal have powered homes, cars and factories. These energy sources release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, trapping heat that otherwise escapes. The added heat increases Earth’s temperature affecting patterns of ocean currents and global weather patterns. Submitted works should promote awareness, encourage dialogue, and inspire action around climate change.
Mingei International Museum and the The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) bring together their signature youth art exhibitions to one venue. CLIMATE CHANGE: 50 Craft and Contemporary Artworks by 25 and Under Artists is a juried exhibition of work created by young artists from San Diego County. The exhibition’s focus, climate change, will convey young artists’ hope, fear, activism and action surrounding the changing planet through art forms. Artist work will be on display at MCASD from June 13, 2020 - September 20, 2020.
Artwork must be submitted under one of two categories:
Mingei High School Craft
- All work must be created by a current high school student using craft-based mediums; this includes but is not limited to clay, metal, jewelry, furniture design, glass, textiles, weaving, basketry, fashion design and craft-based mixed media
- Work must have been completed during the 2019/20 school year
MCASD 25 and Under
- Artist must be 25 and Under
- MCASD welcomes works in diverse media including sculpture, painting, video, works on paper, installation and other materials that help support creative ideas
- Each teacher submitting on behalf of students will be allowed to submit 20 works total to each category
- Only one work per artist will be selected from each institution/category; however, up to 3 works may be submitted for consideration
- 25 works from each category will be chosen for up to 50 works total
All work must be submitted:
Through the exhibition's submission website on artcall.org
Submission window opens April 1
2-3 clear photographs of each work must be submitted, giving a sense of the piece from different angles
Submissions are due by the end of the day on May 10, 2020
Selections will be finalized by May 17, 2020
Selected works must be delivered to MCASD May 28 - June 3, 2020
The opening reception will be on June 13, 2020
MINGEI HOWARD SCHOLARSHIP
High School Seniors (aged 16 - 19 years old) who have been selected to display their art as part of the exhibition will have the opportunity to apply for the R. Stephen and Nancy D. Howard Scholarship for students who will be enrolling full-time in an accredited community college or four-year university. The scholarship will be awarded to two students who have shown a commitment to staying involved in the arts (regardless of their major).
The scholarship application can be downloaded from the Museum’s website on April 3, 2020
Completed applications are due by May 24, 2020